Trio No. 17

1. 
I said yes because I love you. 
I labored long, and did not sleep.  
I said no to others, with momentary regret 
And made humble meals for a time. 

I will not retire, 
Will have no laurels upon which to rest,
Will break my back to feed my soul
Until my body fails and my sight is gone. 

Perhaps one day I will be empty
And will feel my faults 
Or see them as failure. 
But it is too late to turn back. 

2.
Watch as I wind up the old clock in the basement which used to hang on the wall in the room where I said to you have you ever felt like the world is too big for this and you replied with the word no and I felt guilty and ashamed but did not stop feeling that the world is too big for this. 

3. 
A list of objects and compound objects:

A white drum, shallow. 

The piece of hardware that I'm sure I've lost. 

A binder of fresh paper; the first draft. 

A bundle of thin wires, many bent. 

A rug, rolled up tight. 

A fresh bottle of intoxicating liquid. 

A paper cup of paper coffee. 

Bits of straw on the floor.

A pair of shoes that I haven't worn. 

A pair of shoes that I haven't worn in months. 

A taxicab receipt. 



Comments

Popular Posts